Saturday 5 January 2013

Internet Connection When Away

Many of us have become addicted to the internet and rely on it for keeping in touch and as the fountain of all knowledge.

I am not going to talk about all the different methods you can use to connect while away, I an just going to tell you how I do it.

Of course most of us now have smart phones that can connect to the internet from almost anywhere and I do use mine quite a lot. Also as my home broadband is with BT, I can connect using my phone (or laptop) via BT Fon WiFi, although I rarely get a connection that way.

Connecting abroad using the phone is a big no-no though, as it can be very expensive although I do use it if I can get free or cheap WiFi. On my old phone I paid my phone supplier for a certain amount of usage in France and it lasted me for a week, I did exactly the same with my new phone and it lasted a day. Too many things go on in the background of the new phone and it was too complicated to stop it all. So now I do not bother doing that any more.

Even though I use the phone, I do like to use my laptop, mainly for the bigger screen but also because I can do much more with it. When on Caravan Club sites I would purchase WiFi time from them and it worked well but now I have a much cheaper method.

I have a 3 dongle and an account with SIM from Samba. A dongle + SIM from Samba is £25 or £5 for just the SIM.

This is how it works, from the Samba web site

Samba is where you watch ads, and in return you earn mobile data for your tablet or laptop. But that's not all. At Samba you, the user, are in charge. You select what to watch and when to watch it. And we carry only high quality video advertising from leading brands, so you should always be entertained.

For every ad you view, we give you 3.5MB of credit. Most ads are between 30 and 60 seconds long. Some are longer, some are shorter. Samba mobile data is credited to your account, and you use it when you want. Free internet on the go, the Samba way.


I had the dongle, I paid £5 for the SIM, I log on to Samber, click on ads to watch and build up credit. Then when I am away, I connect via the 3 network and use the credit I have earned. I have used it Several times now and the only place I could not get a signal was at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment