Saturday 8 April 2017

Three Days With The Girls (April 2017)

2nd April to the 5th April

The twins were on holiday two weeks before most of the other local schools, so we thought we would go away for a few days in the van while it was still quiet. Imagine my surprise when I went to book the Caravan and Motorhome site in Barnard Castle and found it was over £38/night. This is for a pitch on a site at the beginning of April, the 2nd to the 5th in fact. We didn't go there.

We booked the Caravan and Motorhome site in Thirsk, something like £22/night and just as nice. As we were so close to home we also took the car with us, so we could drive around during the day.

Sunday 2nd April

Well I set off for the Caravan and Motorhome site in Thirsk, now you may be wondering what the Caravan and Motorhome Club is, well its the Caravan Club but they changed their name to keep in with us motorhomers. I say I set off, because Dot and the girls were in the car and they arrived just after me.

We got set up and had our lunch before Me and Emily set off onto town to watch the Boro match. We went to the The Darrowby Inn in the centre, as they were the only ones to answer the phone when I called them to see if it was on. The match was ok but the beer was very expensive, or the cola was and it wasn't very nice, that's the beers.

After the match we met up with the other two and went for a walk by the river, we wandered about for about half an hour then just went to the pub for tea.

We made our way to Spoons The Three Tuns, and sat downstairs in one of the basement rooms. Me and Emily had the All Day Breakfast, Georgia had Burger and Dot had the Pie and Mash with Mushy Peas. The beer I had was Birrificio MC-77, Mild The Gap from Italy but it was really from Hook Norton and it was ok. I had another beer a Bodebrown, Brazillian Burton Pale Ale from Brazil but again it was really from Banks’s.

Monday 3rd April

When everyone was ready we got in the car and drove to Ripon, its not far but it got us out. It was dinner time when we arrived and we just popped into Greggs for some sandwiches, well small baguettes each. After dinner we headed to the Cathedral then on down to the river just for the walk.

Ripon Cathedral T & R Williamson Ltd

Back in town I had a look in DrinksWell a booze shop, very good beers in there but expensive, so I bought nowt. I had a sit in the town square while Dot and the Girls continued shopping. We then made our way into Booths supermarket, where the beer selection is fantastic and I bought quite a lot, as I usually do in Booths, the price is just right.

We even headed into the cafe upstairs for a drink.

Time for a drink

I had to take the beer back to the car but the girls continued with their shopping, so I just sat on a wall, in the sun and waited for them to get back. When they did get back we just drove back to the van and played on our iPhones / iPads (well some of us did) until it was time for tea.

We made our way back to Spoons for tea but first I had a pint of Butcombe, Union, it was a bit too hoppy for me. So with the food I got an Abbots, the girls both had Fish and Chips and Me and Dot had Tandoori Chicken Wraps.

On the way back to the van we called into Lidl and got some more beers, some nice French Wheatbeers and some other nice beers as well. Then it was back to the van to drink them.

De Gayant, Abbaye de Vauclair Blanche, France

Tuesday 4th April

Today we headed off to Knaresborough, we parked down by the river and set off for a walk under the viaduct towards the next bridge over the river. We have been many times before and even a few times with the girls but nether of them remember the place at all. I though they may remember as we got into town but they never did,

Up in town we decided against going for somewhere for lunch and just got fish and chips and ate them in the square.  We would eat later back in Thirsk at Spoons.

After lunch

After a walk around the shops we made our way to the remains of the castle but as I said the girls didn't remember any of it, very strange.  But I did take a photo to show them when we got home.

Knaresborough Castle Knaresborough Castle

We walked through the station on our way back to the car and had to wait for a train to pass before we could get through to the other side. Emily did go through the underground pass to get to the other side but the rest of us just waited.

The Train Station

From there we walked down to the river and had a walk along the far side but the opposite way to Mother Shipton's Cave. We didn't walk too far and came back the same way, from there we made for the car and drove back to Thirsk.

That evening we wandered back to Spoons again for tea, I had another new beer, a Maxim, Hapi, not bad at all but I did change to Abbots for the second one. For food Me and Emily had Tandoori Chicken Wraps and Dot and Georgia had Ham and Cheese Panini, all with chips of course.

In Spoons

On the way back to the van, again I popped into Lidl for more of the good beer we got yesterday.

Wednesday 5th April

Well it was time to get back home, Dot and the girls went off in the car, Emily had to be back to go to the Boro match. So I just drive slowly home on my own.

Next trip will be to Peterborough for Ambers Birthday in about two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment